How to Clean and Maintain Teak Furniture
Teak furniture is a beloved choice for outdoor spaces, renowned for its durability, natural beauty, and timeless appeal. Join us on a journey through the art of preserving and revitalizing your teak furniture, ensuring it remains a stunning and functional addition to your outdoor haven for years to come.
A How-To on Caring for Teak Furniture
Teak patio furniture is durable, robust, and able to hold up to the elements outdoors. First and foremost, teak holds its natural oils and rubber extremely well after harvesting which prevents dry-rot and waterproofs the wood from moisture and other elements. Also, because of these natural oils, fungus and insects are repelled from teak which can be a problem in other types of woods. In some reported cases geologists have found furniture made from teak that is thousands of years old and still standing.
Take Teak to its Golden Honey State:
- Mix a solution of dish soap and water (you can add a teaspoon of bleach or a cup of water from the pool if there is Mildew)
- Scrub gently with a soft bristle brush or use a microfiber cloth to clean. Always scrub with the grain.
- Rinse with water. Make sure you rinse well and leave no soap residue. You can use a hose, but never a power washer.
- For tough stains, sand the wood lightly before cleaning with fine sandpaper.
- Let dry. (This is especially important before you proceed to the next step.)
- Oil the furniture. Linseed oil or tung oil is the most common type used to protect the wood. Apply with a paintbrush with slow even strokes always painting with the grain. Remove excess oil with a clean damp rag. Continue to apply until the oil can no longer be absorbed and this will vary depending on the age of the wood. This “oiled” state will remain for 3-6 months and will need to be reapplied because oxidation will occur again and the furniture will take on a silver/patina look again.
- Let dry.
- Optional: Apply a resin sealer made specifically for teak that is water-based.
We have the expertise and high-quality products to turn your outdoor cooking dreams into a reality. So, roll up your sleeves, put on your chef’s hat, and get ready to create culinary masterpieces in your small but sensational outdoor kitchen! Connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram for more tips on enhancing your outdoor kitchen.
You may also like…Summer Entertaining and Dining