With careful preparation and a grill set up for indirect grilling, you’re in for a culinary delight. Firstly, you begin by seasoning an impressive 18-pound, 7-bone prime rib roast with slivers of garlic and fragrant rosemary leaves, ensuring a burst of aromatic goodness in each bite.
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 3 hrs
Resting Time: 30 mins
Total: 3 hrs 50 mins
Yield: 1 Roast
- 1 (7-bone) whole prime rib roast, about 18 pounds
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, slivered
- 2 to 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- Start by gathering the ingredients.
- Next, prepare the grill for indirect grilling by placing a large dripping pan underneath the grate, directly below where the roast will be placed. Make sure you know the weight of your prime rib to help you figure out the cooking time and ingredient amounts. Plan on grilling over indirect heat for 12 to 14 minutes per pound. If you are using a smaller roast, adjust the ingredients and cooking times accordingly. Aim for a grill temperature of about 375 F.
- Periodically, add water to the pan to keep the drippings from burning away, especially if you want to make gravy.
- Then, with a sharp paring knife, make a series of 1/2-inch deep holes spaced every 2 inches all over the roast.
- Insert the garlic slivers in every other hole and a leaf from the rosemary in the rest.
- Combine black pepper, dried rosemary, salt, and paprika, and rub the mixture over the surface of the meat.
- When the grill is ready, place the roast on the well-oiled grate directly over the dripping pan.
- Cook for about 12 to 14 minutes per pound. An 18-pound roast will take about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. It is very important to use an accurate meat thermometer to check for doneness. You do not want to overcook this roast.
- Then, when the meat reaches an internal temperature of 115 F to 125 F, remove it from the grill.
- Finally, place the roast on a platter and cover loosely with foil. The meat will continue cooking, and the internal temperature will continue to rise. Make sure to tent loosely with aluminum foil and then let rest for at least 15 minutes but no more than 30 minutes.
- Lastly, once the roast has rested, slice it.
Grills We Love For Prime Rib
Vintage Luxury Grills and grill accessories embody the retro, classic feel of gourmet cooking, with the amenities home chefs have come to expect from today’s outdoor kitchens. Rooted in American heritage, yet positioned at the brink of technologically advanced cooking, Vintage redefines food preparation for the modern cook. Experience the Vintage Difference.
Vintage gas grills are a unique blend of design and utility. All of our gas grill heads will enhance your outdoor space and deliver extraordinary results. Our grills come equipped with an array of features that make it the perfect centerpiece for your outdoor kitchen. Built to last, your Vintage grill will deliver professional quality results for years to come.
- Fuel: Natural Gas or Liquid Propane
- Exterior Material: Stainless Steel
- Exterior Stainless Grade: 304 Stainless
- Burners: 3
- BTUs: 82,500
- Main Burner Material: 304 Stainless + Ceramic Infrared
- Flame Tamer Material: Ceramic
- Cooking Grate Material: Stainless Steel
- Cooking Grid Dimensions: 39.5 x 19.5″
- Main Grilling Area: 770 Sq. Inches
- Secondary Area: 308 Sq. Inches
- Total: 1078 Sq. Inches
- Rotisserie BTUs: 18,000
- Heat Zone Separators: No
- Ignition Type: Continuous Spark
- Flash Tubes: No
- Grill Lights: Internal
- Spring Assisted Hood: Yes
- Made in USA: No
- Commercial: No
Like a fine wine, Vintage Products have grown through generations of experience to become the ultimate outdoor cooking and entertainment line. From our remarkably powerful grills and side burners to complete beverage service and refrigeration, the Vintage brand speaks of the finest craftsmanship and truly intelligent design. The Vintage Outdoor Kitchen offers chefs of all abilities the power to create extraordinary meals in an open-air environment.
- 28 1/2 ” x 11 5/8″ x 17 5/8″
At The Outdoor Appliance Store, what sets us apart from the competition is our superior customer service, attention to detail, and high-quality brands. We carry everything you could possibly think of for your dream outdoor kitchen. We also have the knowledge and experience to make sure that our customers will be happy with their outdoor living area, no matter how big or small it happens to be.
The Outdoor Appliance Store, an online extension of The Outdoor Kitchen Place, is a family-owned business that will provide you with excellent service from an experienced staff that can answer any questions you may have, as well as provide the latest industry news at the tap of your fingers.
We strive for excellence and quality in service and hope that we can extend our passion for the outdoors. Stop in and enjoy your shopping experience! You can find The Outdoor Appliance Store on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn for more expert tips, top-notch product insights, and mouthwatering recipes.
You may also like…Why Choose A Vintage Grill