Green, Grilled, and Good For You
Your outdoor BBQ grill isn’t just for grilling delicious meats! The best part about having a high-quality BBQ grill is you can literally cook your entire meal on the grill, including meats, veggies, and even appetizers and dessert! Grilling your main dish meats and side veggies at the same time means dinner is on the table quicker, and it’s extra tasty. If you’re new to grilling vegetables, this is your guide on how to grill your favorite veggies along with some popular recipes. So, let’s dive into all grilled vegetables have to offer!
Can You Grill Vegetables?
If you’ve only seen the traditional steak, hamburger, and chicken on a backyard grill, you might wonder this question. Yes, you can absolutely grill vegetables! Grilling vegetables brings out their delicious flavor and color and may even entice your pickiest eater to have a taste.
How Do You Grill Vegetables?
Grilling vegetables isn’t difficult and takes a small amount of prep work to ensure they turn out perfect. Most prep includes washing, peeling, slicing, seeding, and trimming as necessary. Once your veggies are sliced, brush them with some olive oil to prevent sticking. Then you’ll place them on the grill, ensuring there’s enough space between.
It doesn’t take much time to grill most vegetables, so watch them closely. The amount of time to cook your vegetables depends on the type of veggie and how thin they’re sliced. For example, grilled potatoes usually take 20-25 minutes total, whereas bell peppers typically take 6-8 minutes per side when cut into strips.
There are several methods for grilling vegetables that all yield the same result. First, you can grill your vegetables directly on the grill following the tips above. You can also grill vegetables on a skewer for veggie kabobs. Another grilling method for vegetables is in foil packets. This is a great method for cooking potatoes on the grill!
However you choose to grill your vegetables, serve them warm alongside your favorite grilled meat. We’ll share some of our favorite grilled vegetable recipes below! But first, what are the best vegetables for grilling?
Best Vegetables to Grill
You really can’t go wrong with any veggie on the grill. Here are some popular vegetables to throw on the grill.
- Bell Peppers
- Yellow Squash
Grilled Vegetable Recipes
Let’s look at some delicious grilled vegetable recipes that go perfectly with any main dish. These recipes for grilled veggies are simple and crowd-pleasing!
Grilled Vegetable Skewers
- 4 medium red onion – peeled, sliced in half, then thirds
- 4 medium zucchini – sliced in rounds
- 2 red bell pepper – seeded, chopped into 1-inch by 1-inch pieces
- 2 orange bell pepper – seeded, chopped into 1-inch by 1-inch pieces
- 2 yellow bell pepper – seeded, chopped into 1-inch by 1-inch pieces
- 2 green bell pepper – seeded, chopped into 1-inch by 1-inch pieces
- olive oil – for brushing
- Balsamic vinegar – for serving
- Begin by letting the wooden skewers soak in water for at least 15-30 minutes. This recipe produces enough for 8-12 skewers.
- Add vegetables to the skewers by alternating between red onion, zucchini, and the different colored bell pepper. Then brush skewers with olive oil.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Add skewers and grill for 5-8 minutes per side, or until vegetables are softened and browning around the edges.
- Place veggies on a platter and drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette, if desired.
- 3 red bell peppers – seeded and halved
- 3 yellow squash – sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick rectangles
- 3 zucchini – sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick rectangles
- 3 Japanese eggplant – sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick rectangles
- 12 cremini mushrooms
- 1 bunch (1-pound) asparagus – trimmed
- 12 green onions – roots cut off
- 1/4 cup olive oil for brushing plus additional 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Then, brush the vegetables with 1/4 cup of olive oil to coat lightly. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables for about 8-10 minutes for the bell peppers; 7 minutes for the yellow squash, eggplant, zucchini, and mushrooms; 4 minutes for the green onions and asparagus. Work in batches to prevent overcrowding of the grill.
- Make the herb mixture by combining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, parsley, basil, and rosemary in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle the herb mixture over the vegetables. Serve the vegetables on a platter, warm or at room temperature.
Get creative this grilling season with these yummy grilled vegetables recipes. These are perfect for a crowd or a weeknight family dinner. If you need to upgrade your BBQ grill this season, The Outdoor Appliance Store has a wide variety of quality and premium BBQ grills. Connect with one of our grill experts today, and let’s get grilling!
Read some of our other favorite grilling recipes and connect with The Outdoor Appliance Store on Facebook and Instagram.